To: New Plymouth District Council
SAVE FITZROY GOLF COURSE
Stop the New Plymouth District Council selling off the beautiful Fitzroy Golf Course for luxury housing.
Why is this important?
The New Plymouth District Council is proposing to cut the stunning coastal Fitzroy Golf Course in half, making a 9-hole golf course and selling off 160 sections to develop luxury housing.
We need your help to stop this; please sign the petition to stay informed and let the Council know that you oppose these plans.
There are many reasons to oppose the development of this public land:
• The golf course is a huge asset to the local people of all New Plymouth. The land provides beautiful views for everyone and it is a social and recreational venue for everyone to enjoy, including visitors and tourists to the area - not just golfers
• The roads into Fitzroy are already narrow and often congested. To increase the population by such a large number will mean even busier roads and overcrowding throughout the Fitzroy suburb
• Many Fitzroy residents will be disrupted by such a long development and construction period, with large trucks on the roads, noise and dust from the subdivision earthworks and building construction
• Local residents will have their views destroyed
• Fitzroy Golf Club members and many more casual green fee players do not want to see their course reduced to a 9-hole
• The land is enjoyed by many now, to sell off the land to a wealthy few means taking that privilege away from the public
• There are significant wetlands, coastal vegetation and wildlife living in the area that would be adversely affected
• Fitzroy School will be impacted by an increased roll and challenged to provide the facilities, as well as having a busier road outside the school
• Selling off this local gem is not only impacting this generation but also future generations
• Once an environmental/green asset is removed, it can never be replaced
Keep up to date with Council meetings and the minutes here: